It’s safe to say that right now we are living in unsettling times, but one thing that doesn’t have to be unsettling or stressful is food!! Food is so versatile and what better time than ever to get playing with flavours in the kitchen!
I wanted to create some recipes for you at home that are super easy, fun and a little different to your chicken nugget sandwich that you may be living off right now (don’t worry, I feel ya). This recipe is the definition of VERSATILE – I’m going to suggest other ingredients that you can swap in and out to still get the best flavours possible, but with using what you have in the cupboard or the fridge or lurking about in the bottom of the freezer… get playing with ingredients and flavours. There’s no rules on what you can create!
So, what do you need to make this recipe?
Serves 2, so double or half quantities as needed!
• 1/4 sheet of puff pastry (or google a super simple pastry recipe)
• 4 mini pork sausages (or 1 large chicken breast, 2 veggie sausage alternatives or 1/2 tin of cannelloni beans!)
• 2 rashers of bacon (optional)
• 1 onion (or 1 leek or 3 spring onions)
• 2 garlic cloves (or paste)
• 1 red pepper (fresh or frozen is fine!)
• 10 cherry tomatoes (or 2 beef tomatoes or 1 tin of chopped tomatoes)
• 30g cheese (any cheese will do, we’ve used some leftover Gloucester and chive slices)
• 1 cup of rocket (or any greens that need using)
• Basil to taste (fresh or dried)
• 1 tsp of chilli powder
• 2 tbsps of lime juice (or lemon.. or orange.. anything citrus!)
• 1 tsp of black pepper
• 1 tbsp of olive oil/chilli oil/any oil to hand
Shall we get started?
• First of all, finely chop your onion, garlic, pepper and tomatoes and bang them in a oiled pan. Add your spices, lime juice, basil and water and leave to simmer for 5 minutes.
• Now for the meat! Gently fry it in the spicy pepper mix and cook for around 10 minutes or until browned and the bacon crisp (if using). If you think the mix is getting a bit sticky, simply add a little tap water to thin the sauce. Once cooked, leave aside.
• Time to finely roll out your pastry until it’s around 1/2cm thick! Use any leftover pastry to make shapes to top the pie.
• Add 1/2 the pepper mix into a pie dish (here I am using a lasagna tray), then add your cheese and rocket! Pop the rest of the mix in and then top with your pastry.
• We cut a little piggy! Don’t forget to prick your pastry to let the hot air escape.
• Bake for 20 minutes at 220c (gas mark 7) or until golden brown! You could always use and egg wash to make it super shiny, but if you’re keeping it simple, you really don’t need it!
We’ve served it with steamed broccoli and a sweet potato mash!
Absolutely scrummy, simple and full of flavour! An excellent way to use up leftovers and avoid any annoying trips to the shops.
Don’t forget to tag us in your creations at #emmasfoodstories
Stay safe, happy cooking!