My housemate and I were craving a sweet treat after our gym session earlier today, so I knocked up a batch of low fat muffins for dessert from a few household ingredients. And they were DIVINE. A little messy and rough around the edges but the taste did not compromise.
Makes 6 muffins.
Macros (per muffin): kcals: 206 / carbs: 28g (sugars – 25g) / fat: 10g / protein: 2g
- 1 cup / self raising flour
- 1/2 cup / granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup / coconut oil
- 1/2 cup / Fage 0% greek yogurt
- 1 / grated apple
- 1 large / egg
- 1 tbsp / golden syrup (optional, if you have a sweet tooth)
- 1 tsp / vanilla essence
- 6 tsps / raspberry jam
- Beat the coconut oil in the bowl until soft.
- Gradually beat in the yogurt and then the egg and vanilla.
- Add in the sugar and the syrup, mix well.
- Grate your apple and add to the mix.
- Fold in the flour, beat until smooth.
- Add half the mixture evenly between the six muffin cases.
- Add in 1/2 tsp of jam to each muffin.
- Top with remaining mixture and remaining jam.
- Bake for 15 mins at 180 degrees C or until golden brown.
- Cool and enjoy!
Even healthier substitutions can be made if needed (sugar for sweetener, jam for fruit puree) – have fun experimenting and of course, eating!